Like every other appliance, the refrigerator needs to be cleaned regularly and this is an important part of good house cleaning and keeping. Regular thorough cleaning of the inside of the refrigerator is needed to remove old food particles and liquid spills to keep the fridge smelling clean.
To clean the inside of your fridge you will need: warm to hot soapy water in a cleaning bucket, baking soda, and a sponge.
Follow the procedures below to systematically and thoroughly clean a fridge:
1. Remove all stored food from the refrigerator and the freezer. If you anticipate taking more than an hour to complete the job, put perishable items in a cooler with ice.
2. Dispose of spoiled and spoiling food.
3. To be on the safe side and because you are cleaning with water, unplug the fridge.
4. Wipe down the refrigerator and freezer with baking soda dissolved in hot water to remove food particles, and food or liquid stuck to the refrigerator or freezer surfaces. Use non-scratching pads where greater agitation is required to remove debris and strains from surfaces.
5. Rinse the areas that you cleaned with soap and warm water with sponges or clean rags. Make sure to clean out the crevices of the rubber seals and other difficult to get to areas.
6. Allow the cleaned areas to dry with the doors open before plugging it back in and reorganizing the food, etc. that you put back into the fridge.
7. You can help keep your fridge smelling clean between major cleans by keeping a container of baking soda on a shelf or corner of the fridge (but keep away from green leafy vegetables that the baking soda might cause to wilt faster). Baking soda makes for a good fridge deodorant as it has properties that absorb odors from food.
8. Utilize the different compartments of a fridge to store food properly. Bad odors are more likely to occur when the smells of different foods combine. Crisper compartments are less cold and better for fresh vegetables. Keep stronger flavored items on the door shelves of the fridge.
9. Store leftovers in separate containers with lids that seal tightly.
10. To maximize circulation inside the fridge, store bigger container, boxes, and bottles on the bottom shelf or lower bottle shelf on the refrigerator door. Also, place bigger items at the back of the fridge, smaller items near the front.
For assistance or if you have any questions regarding how to clean your refrigerator or keep your home clean, call 403-291-1051 and ask to speak to one of our House Cleaning and Maid Service representatives.
Complete Cleaning and Maintenance Care in Calgary and area since 1967
Tags: clean refrigerators