10 Tips for Hiring a Duct Cleaning Professional
If you’re paying to have your ducts cleaned, you’ll want to be certain it’s done right. After all it’s an investment in cleaner air and a healthier environment for you and your family.
Choosing a well-qualified furnace and duct maintenance company is the first step in ensuring your complete satisfaction, so be prepared to ask lots of questions.
Here are ten tips to help you choose a reliable, qualified HVAC service provider:
1. Compare. Get comparative quotes from at least three different companies, providing a detailed breakdown of all costs, as well as any contingencies for possible extras. A reputable company should be willing to sign a contract, as well as specifying the number of hours required to complete the job and a projected date for the work to be done.
2. Ask for credentials. Look for technicians who are licensed, accredited and affiliated with professional organizations.
3. Confirm experience. Look for a company with proven experience – if possible with your particular HVAC system.
4. Double check. Look for online reviews, check BBB reports and ask for references.
5. Ask about safety. Ask about their standard safety procedures.
6. Ask about chemicals. Although discouraged, chemical treatments are sometimes needed to clean tough molds or dirt that may have dried up in the duct system. If by any chance biochemical treatments are called for, you need to feel confident that they are absolutely necessary. Should you agree to use chemicals, make sure that the duct cleaning professional has discussed the following details with you:
a) The brand of the biochemical and what it contains
b) Its approved uses
c) Appropriate application of the product
If chemicals are necessary, you may want to temporarily vacate your home during the application to protect your family from the fumes.
7. Find out what’s included. Ask the provider to describe what’s included. At a minimum you should expect the following:
- Inspect the system for asbestos. This is usually only a problem in older homes
- Check all ports and access doors
- Check the ducts for leaks or weak spots and reseal or reinforce as necessary
- Use vacuum cleaner to scrub and remove all accumulated dirt from the duct system
8. Protect your home. Check what measures will be taken to protect your household furnishings and carpets from getting soiled or damaged during the duct cleaning process.
9. Don’t be oversold. Do not hire a duct cleaner who recommends making duct cleaning an annual activity, because it doesn’t need to be. For the most part it is only necessary to clean your ducts every 3-5 years, unless there are visible signs of contamination or build-up, or if someone in the family is experiencing health or respiratory issues that could be related to air quality.
10. Be wary of extremely low quotes. It’s worth paying a little extra for experience and skill when your health and safety are at stake.
If you have decided that your ducts need cleaning, it’s obviously important that you hire someone with the appropriate technical expertise and experience. Following these ten tips will help you make the best possible choice.
If you have any questions regarding duct cleaning and maintenance, call Ram Cleaning Services @ 403-291-1051 and speak to one of our Furnace and Duct Cleaning specialists.