Tips on Fighting Pet Odor in the Home.
We all love our pets, but the downside to inviting these furry creatures into our hearts and our homes is the odors they bring with them.
Luckily, there are fast, easy and natural ways to manage pet odors so everyone – family members and guests – can enjoy the company of your four-legged residents.
- Vacuum. If you have a family of more than three including pets in the head count, it is a good idea to vacuum your carpet every day. Vacuuming picks up dirt, dust, insects and other undesirable elements that pets bring into the home.
- Baking soda. If this is not in your kitchen, it is readily available in your local grocery store. Baking soda is a cheap, and very effective deodorizer. Sprinkle baking soda on your carpet and other surfaces like throw rugs and your pets’ beds. Let it sit on the surface for about 10 minutes and then vacuum.
- Vinegar. Direct from your kitchen, vinegar, like baking soda, is also an effective deodorizing ingredient. Vinegar removes the pungent smell of urine from carpets. Simply mix 50-50 solution of white vinegar and warm water and apply the solution on the affected area for about 30 minutes. Rinse the area with water and cover it with rags or absorbent paper towel to soak up the moisture. Press the rags or paper toweling into the carpet until there is no more visible moisture, and then air-dry the carpet completely.
- Coffee beans. Warmed freshly ground coffee beans work wonders to clear the air of pet odors. To do this, heat the coffee in a pan over low heat. Remove the pan from the heat as soon as the scent starts to spread. Many pet owners swear by this quick fix, saying that by the time the coffee beans cool, the odor is gone!
- Ultra-violet light. While not an odor-buster, using an ultra-violet light in a dark room will show you stains that you may miss in natural light. That way, you can make sure to get every one.
Do not use ammonia or ammonia-based products to clean pet odors. Ammonia comes with its own strong smell, and you defeat the purpose of deodorizing if you use it. It may also be harmful to your pets. Ammonia is an irritant to the mucous membranes.
Cleaning regularly using these tips will usually do the trick, but if pet odor hampering life in your home, consider hiring a cleaning service to help you out. That way, everyone under your roof can live in happy harmony.
For professional Cleaning Services in Calgary and area call Ram Cleaning Services @ 403-291-1051
Complete Cleaning and Maintenance Care since 1967 including carpet cleaning and house cleaning.
Tags: fight pet odor