Furnace Cleaning FAQs
Confused about furnace cleaning? Not sure if it’s really necessary? Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions that will shed light on this important maintenance activity.
Q: Are yearly furnace inspections necessary?
A: Furnace manufacturers recommend having your furnace checked by a heating professional once a year to make sure that all parts are running efficiently and to protect you against unforeseen breakdown. This is important for every furnace, but particularly if any of the following apply to you:
- If your unit is more than 10 years old.
- If you have pets such as cats and dogs in your home.
- If anyone in your family has allergies or respiratory illness.
Q: What if my furnace is under warranty?
A: Many furnace warranties are only valid if the unit has been subject to proper care and regular maintenance.
Q: Do I need to pay $50-$150 for a professional to do the inspection?
A: Rates vary, but a professional furnace technician will have the training and experience necessary to discover potential problems and offer the best solutions.
Q: Do I really need to service my furnace every year?
A: Maintaining your furnace is like having an annual medical check-up; it’s not mandatory, but it’s highly recommended.
Q: What does furnace maintenance involve?
A: Whether it’s called a furnace tune-up, a service call or a check-up, you should look for a package composed of the following services:
- Check vent system for blockages and/or leakage
- Analyze combustion gases and compare to the unit specifications
- Check blower access door to ensure that it makes a tight seal at the furnace
- Check fresh air intake grills and louvers for blockages
- Inspect exchanger for rust and corrosion
- Check burners for proper ignition, burner flame and flame sense
- Check drainage system for blockages and/or leakage
- Check blower wheel for debris and clean if necessary
- Conduct amp-draw test on the blower motor
- Check wiring for corrosion and damage
- Check filters (filters should be changed monthly)
- Perform air static pressure check
- Test gas pressure
- Perform temperature rise check
Q: Can these tests be performed by the homeowner?
A: Possibly, but it is strongly recommended that the task be delegated to a furnace cleaning professional.
Q: Do we still need annual inspection and cleaning for modern furnaces with virtual self-monitoring?
A: Newer furnace models have several features that make them easier to maintain: they shut off automatically in case of malfunction; they don’t easily get dirty; and their boilers do not require oiling. But even modern furnaces can develop problems, and they should be maintained and checked regularly.
Q: When is the best time to conduct duct and furnace cleaning?
A: Your furnace can be cleaned and serviced at any time of the year. Whenever it’s done you can relax all year knowing you have a well-maintained furnace to keep your home comfortable.
Q: What If I don’t have my furnace checked regularly?
A: Every year too many people discover the inconvenience of losing heat in the midst of a cold snap, and the expense of emergency furnace repairs. They discover too late that the cost of preventive maintenance is insignificant compared to the expense and stress brought about by a furnace breakdown in the middle of a holiday season.
For more information on duct and furnace cleaning and maintenance, call Ram Cleaning Services at 403-291-1051 and talk to one of our representatives.
Complete Cleaning and Maintenance Care in Calgary and area since 1967
Tags: furnace faqs