9 Ways to Protect Hardwood Floors
- The number one enemy of your hardwood floor is sand, grit and other foreign matter. When walked on, it acts like sandpaper, scratching, dulling and denting your hardwood floor. Prevent this by sweeping, dust mopping or vacuuming on a regular basis. Gently use suction-only vacuums (and not power heads) that have smooth edges.
- Use pH neutral (not strong) cleaners for cleaning to avoid residue build-up, damage, or dulling. Avoid using steel wool or other abrasive pads that might mark your floor.
- Prolonged contact with moisture will swell the grain of the wood. Wipe up any water or other spills as soon as they happen. Watch for leaks from plants or windows.
- Prevent if possible hardwood floors from being walked on with high heels. The pressure point of a high heel is approximately 2000 pounds per square inch.
- Always lift, never drag, when moving furniture. Keep furniture legs in good repair, or loose leg won’t dig into the hardwood finish. Where possible, use felt pads on contact areas to provide cushioning and scratch protection. Avoid coasters that might slide easily but that can trap sand and grit and act like sanding disks.
- As much as possible, keep heavy objects out of the hardwood area, that if dropped or tipped over might mark or dent the floor.
- Direct sun can fade and discolor wood, or yellow some finishes. Where possible, close window coverings during high sunlight times to deflect sunlight’s ultraviolet rays and to reduce their harmful effect.
- The use of mats and area rugs is one of the best protection measures to remove foot dust and dirt, and to absorb moisture. But before putting them down, be careful not to trap moisture underneath. Extra matting outside entrances is also helpful in keeping problem soiling out of your home.
- Keep humidity levels in your home between 35-50%. This will help protect your floor from being dimensionally affected by humidity changes.
For information on hardwood floor cleaning, call one of our specialists at 403-291-1051
Ram Cleaning Services, Complete Cleaning and Maintenance Care Serving Calgary and area since 1967
Tags: hardwood floors