Ceramic Tile is popular for floors and walls. Ceramic provides a wide variety of looks to match decor. To maintain your ceramic flooring and walls, the following information should be helpful.
1. Prevention is the best maintenance. If the grout lines are not sealed, get them sealed (but after the grout lines have bee cleaned). Get professional advise and help if necessary and reapply sealant at suggested time intervals. Sweep floors regularly to remove loose dirt and dust to prevent scratches. Don’t walk on ceramic tile floors with outdoor shoes that can have small stones and debris on their soles. Use mats at entrance ways to help prevent tracking. Wear socks or slippers inside.
2. Wipe up spills immediately to prevent them from becoming absorbed. Dry small spills with a damp clean cloth.
3. Mop with a mild all-purpose cleaners, or the manufacturer’s suggested product. Use warm water. Don’t use bleach or ammonia that can discolor grout lines. If you have any concerns about a cleaner, test it in an inconspicuous area. Don’t use abrasive materials such as steel wool (microfiber cloths work well). Dry the tiles after cleaning. Don’t use a vacuum beater bar. If your vacuum has a beater bar put it in the up position.
4. For tougher stains, such as post construction spots, use a mild acid solution such as vinegar. Don’t let acid cleaners sit on grout because they can etch it. Rinse well and dry (an old tooth brush can work well for agitation on a stain and a hair dryer for drying).
5. For scum buildup, try a plastic bristled brush, or kitchen scrubber that won’t scratch. Vinegar will work but you will need more elbow grease. For kitchen back splashes, a scraper can be useful for grease and food splatters but use it at a good angle to prevent damage.
Remember that ceramic tile (and porcelain tile) can chip so be careful when moving heavy objects or furniture on them. Lift and don’t push.
For more information on tile cleaning and maintenance call Ram @ 403-291-1051 and ask to speak to one of our tile maintenance representatives.
Ram Cleaning Services, Complete Cleaning and Maintenance Care serving Calgary and area since 1967
Tags: ceramic tile maintenance