THE IMPORTANCE OF DRYER VENT CLEANING FOR MULTI-UNIT (APARTMENT OR CONDOMINIUM) BUILDINGS
Dryer Vent Cleaning
Common laundry exhausts are usually located in apartment buildings, but could also be in laundry mats. The duct work attached to these exhaust systems can come in all ranges of size and configuration.
Common laundries are used more often than individual dryers; therefore dryer vents require cleaning more often (every 6-month to 1 year). – Every time the dryer is used, fibers from your clothes, towels or linens break free and become lodged in the lint trap. The lint trap catches up to 90% of the fibers which leaves 10% + to be pushed through the exhaust system. Most dryer exhaust systems are not short straight runs, they twist and turn from round to square to rectangular. These changes in direction and configuration allow lint fibers to collect and cause blockages and dryer inefficiencies.
Energy Efficiency: With a clogged dryer vent, a dryer can work up to 10 times as hard to dry clothes. If you have to run your clothes through a second dry cycle, your dryer is using at least twice the energy is should, along with reducing the life expectancy of your dryer.
Fire Hazard: As dryer vents load up with lint and soap residue, so do dryers. This mixture is highly flammable and when it gets backed up close to the electric heat element in the dryer, it can easily com-bust.
Flood Hazard: If the condensation does not reach the outdoors in vapor form, the result is moisture buildup in the duct work. This condensation can build up and start to pool in the duct work. The water along with the lint entering the duct work causes blockages to form very quickly.
Content from Ram Dryer Cleaning page:
Regular dryer duct cleaning – that is, the duct work that leads from the dryer to the outside of the building – is necessary, to save energy and money, and protect residents.
Lint and debris that are not caught by the lint collector will gradually clog up the dryer vent. When the vent is clogged, it reduces the effectiveness of the dryer. It takes longer for clothes to dry, uses more electricity and increases the cost of utilities. It can also overload the dryer motor leading to breakdown and expensive repairs. In extreme cases, a blocked dryer vent poses a fire hazard to the home.
Often dryer duct cleaning is part of a maintenance program and the responsibility of a condo board for an apartment building, condominium or a townhouse community. It may also be requested by your insurance company.
Why should you have your dryer vents cleaned on your property?
The first reason for cleaning a dryer vent is the most important and that is for fire prevention. Lint is highly flammable and dryers are a source of extreme heat.
The life span of a dryer is also dependent on regular maintenance of the equipment including the vent. A typical household sees about 480 loads of laundry per year. If that dryer vent becomes clogged with lint it takes extra time to fully dry the clothes, thus shortening the life of your dryer and adding extra unnecessary energy costs to your bill.
Sometimes the flexible duct that attaches the dryer to the vent becomes damaged or disengaged. Yearly inspections should be conducted to ensure proper connections.
Safety precautions to protect your residents and your investments.
Questions to ask a dryer vent cleaning company:
Is each dryer duct thoroughly cleaned along the entire length – from the dryer to the outside wall?
Is the lint and debris removed and disposed up in an eco-friendly way?
Do you take steps to ensure minimal disruption to residents?
Do you have the equipment to reach high floors?
Do you install protective screening over vent openings to keep rodents and birds from nesting in the duct work? (Did you know that if there is a nest with eggs or new hatch-lings in a dryer vent, it is against the law to remove it?)
Is your work guaranteed?